My mother-in-law made this for us last fall. It was so delicious I couldn't stop thinking about it! She told me how to make it without the recipe in front of her and just recently sent me the actual instructions. Even my winging it up until now has turned out great, so with a recipe now it can only get better! Just in time for fall and squash season yum, enjoy!
1 acorn squash
2 TBS butter
2 TBS brown sugar
2 cups dry wheat & white bread cubes (I have just used wheat)
1 cup chicken broth (could add more if you like stuffing extra moist)
1 tsp garlic powder
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped celery
6 oz. turkey sausage
1/2 cup dried cranberries
Salt & Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut acorn squash in half. Scoop out and discard seeds. Microwave halves in microwave until fork tender (not mushy). Cut a thin slice on the bottom of each half so that they will stand in a baking dish. In each half, put 1 TBS of butter and 1 TBS of brown sugar (I think I put way less than that) Pour chicken broth over bread cubes to soften. Brown the sausage until crumbly. Saute the onion and celery with 1 TBS butter till tender. Mix the softened bread cubes, sausage, celery, onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add the cranberries. Put 1/2 of the stuffing in each squash. Bake uncovered in oven for 15-20 minutes until heated through.
No comments:
Post a Comment